Saturday, December 17, 2005

292: A Big Day for a Tooth on the Mend


Double trouble for me today as I have both my company's holiday lunch outing during the day and poker at night. To boot, the morning is featuring a "wintry mix", which is New Englandese for everything cold that come out of the sky and land on the ground: snow, sleet, hail, rain and frogs. The morning commute was a mess, and on the way to our holiday luncheon, I was not only having second thoughts about the event we were going to (the road was often being obliterated by a freezing slushy spray, courtesy of several large trucks) but the game I was to attend that night. As it turned out, by the time of the game, it was not only clear-skied, but it had warmed up enough (about 42 degrees) so that all the ice had melted off the roads and everything was dry. It's just one of those life lessons where you just keep on going and sometimes it all works out OK. Unless you have to include whether you win or lose at the card game in the final balance sheet.

Breakfast
Two Slices Balthazar Bread
Peanut Butter
50% Jalapeno Cheddar Light

Snack
1/4 Almonds/Cashews
Coffee

Lunch: Japanese Steakhouse
Shrimp Appetizer
Salad
Miso soup (with Mushrooms)
Lobster Tail
Zucchini & Onions
Tenderloin

Poker
Pistachios
Cashews/Almonds
Olives
Roll Mops: Turkey, Corned Beef, Swiss Cheese
Cole Slaw
Pickles
Half-Sour Tomatoes
Peppadews
1 Russian Vanilla Cheesecake Bar

And so there is a fairly big lunch which accounts for almost no afternoon snacks, but I must say that the so-called 'healthy' fare at the Japanese steakhouse (Benihana Style, they chop it and cook it at your table) is a farce. They add butter and oil to everything and only the divine creator knows what they put in it prior to our arrival. I'm not saying it's not yummy, I'm just saying it's like all other restaurants—full of a hidden stick of butter in everything you eat, even the so-called "spa menu." That night I figure I'll go light, but I did indulge myself in a dessert—previously described here in these pages as the "Russian Dessert." I swear, the first person who figures out who to market this dessert to America will either get rich, or get a promotion. It is basically chocolate cheesecake inside a Yodel. I couldn't find a chocolate one on line, but here is a link to the vanilla version (not as good; I ate this by accident): http://www.russianfoods.com/showroom/product0140A/_hide_/vendor003E7/default.asp. Note the description: "A light alternative to Cheesecake, this chocolate covered treat with natural vanilla flavor will remind you of the 'good old days'. " Whoever can tell me what THAT means, please raise your hand.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Double trouble today but in all sounds like it didn't go too badly. Cheesecake has never been my thing but I do understand how compelling it can seem. We had the same kind of weather last Friday. In the morning it was snowing so hard that they closed the schools. By afternoon it was all gone..clear and dry and I was able to play bridge at night with Ruth. So it goes. Love, MOM