Saturday, December 03, 2005

278: Good God, It's Friday

Today did not start well as Ruby could not sleep between 2:30am and 5:30am. She wasn't sick, and couldn't REALLY point to anything scary in her room (for instance, something in the closet that moved was very big for me when I was young) and so there was a bit of a Chinese water torture thing where she woke up every 15 minutes to tell us that she still couldn't sleep. As we are accustomed to sleeping at these times, we were dismayed. Nothing we tried worked—changing pillows, comforters, lights. This morning I was toggling plans between whether to get my hair cut (am looking quite shaggy) or getting weighed at the doctor's (as it is the first of the month). As the hours ticked by last night, I realized I was going to be able to do neither, and I would be lucky if I could drag my ass to work after getting her to school. Though her school begins at 8:30, we got there about an hour late. Luckily, it's Kindergarten, so we didn't miss much, though I was glad the teacher said we wouldn't have to stay afterschool for some extra curricular block-printing.

Breakfast
2 slices of when pigs fly bread
peanut butter
2 oz cheese
tea

Snack
12 oz coffee (half decaf)
1/4 cup almonds/cashews
25 pistachios
1 joy stick

Lunch
Spicy Green Beans with Chicken
Hot and Sour Soup

Dinner
Pork Cutlets
Snow Peas with Oyster Sauce

I must tell you that after all these years of eating When Pigs Fly bread and loving it, I have now become a refusenik as of this morning. The experience of the Balthazar bread has ruined me for bread, possibly forevermore. I'm not sure I can go back to pedestrian breads. If this is so, it will be the greatest thing that ever happened to me. If not, I'll have to just content myself by eating less stellar breads or what is known as 'settling.' This is common for people from the West Coast who can't believe what East Coasters call "Mexican Food" and common for East Coasters transplanted Westward when they try to find "Pizza", "Deli" or "The comfort of those who are rude and cold."

1 comment:

Mom said...

It's really hard on parents when kids don't sleep. Hope things are better tonight. Like we used to have the slug count, I think we should start the pistachio count. Think about it! (A line I think I took from Bull Durham) Love, MOM