Thursday, June 07, 2007

Year 3, Day 99: A Paean to Strawberries

I must confess that I love my breakfast, and so the fact that I am in a breakfast rut has stopped bothering me. Local strawberries (that appear in plywood-like containers, as opposed to the green, egg-type containers that feature California strawberries [bad] or the even worse, the plastic containers by Driscoll [evil]) are so perfect- so sweet and sour; so firm but tender, so delicious but low in carbs. Part of the ritual in the morning I have come to love is the selecting and slicing of strawberries for my breakfast. I am probably overdoing it- eating almost a whole cup of strawberries in each bowl of cereal. Though even a whole cup (152 g) is only 49 calories, 12g of carbs and 7g of sugar. It has zero fat and 3grams of dietary fiber and 1 gram of protein. I'm not even thinking about how I will get by when the season is over. I can't.

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!
Heritage Flakes
Strawberries
Blueberries
Banana
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Lunch: Fordee's
Greek Salad with Chicken
Oil & Vinegar

Snack
1 Pink Lady Apple
4 Sticks Beef Jerky
50 Banana Chips

Dinner
Hamburger
String Beans
Cabbage, Feta & Balsamic Salad

Today we ventured out to a new place, Fordee's which used to be a glass-cased counter refrigerator passing as a sandwich shop. I really demand more in a sandwich shop than just the display of your Boar's Head wrapped deli meats. Does that do it for some people? Really. But now they've come under new ownership, added seating, and turned into a pretty nice place. It's in a part of Watertown called "Little Armenia" but don't get a romantic notion- it's just a few shops and restaurants filled with nice Armenian folk. We stopped in a little market and I picked up a package of banana chips, which I thought were just dried bananas (oh, when will I learn!) but they are actually cured with oil and sugar, and so even worse for you than just a banana with its 14grams of sugar (for a medium). Of course most of these little shops don't feature products with nutrition labels on them. So before I was any the wiser, I was half done with the package. Drat.

No comments: