Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Year 3, Day 111: Spiral Out of Control

I can't really explain it, but I know the more you give in, the more you give in. Today it started with a half a banana with peanut butter. I shouldn't have eaten it, but I tried to get my kids to eat a banana—the fruit with the third highest sugar content—and they wouldn't do it. It's hard to know what to do with a banana. I've taken mostly to freezing them for smoothies, but you get to a breaking point where you think "I'M NOT GOING TO FREEZE ONE MORE G-DDAMN BANANA." Especially when your kids trick you into opening it up and they know they aren't going to eat it. I won't say which kid with the flowery name is permanently punished from Bananas, but you can guess.

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!
Heritage Flakes
Strawberries
Blueberries
Banana
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

PLUS
1/2 a banana topped with super chunky peanut butter

Snack
1 extra smokey
4 sticks beef jerky
.5 oz boston lite popcorn
most of an Orville Redenbacher Microwave popcorn bag
A few strawberries

Lunch: Russo's ($5.37)

Dinner: Oga Sushi
Green Salad
Edamame
Sashimi Plate (I hate Mackerel)

55 Whole Grain Goldfish

At Target, my kids were sort of trying to graze on everything and anything including toys and men's slacks. I ended up grabbing a new product of an end-cap display (!) that was Pepperidge Farm Goldfish made with Whole Grains. Now I am always both dubious and grateful that marketers try to make their previously unhealthy products better but the proof is always in the pudding, or in the case, the taste of the kids. I am happy to report that my kids did not spit them out as if their tongues were on fire, meaning they had at least enough a semblance to real (read: unhealthy) goldfish to pass. However, I tasted them and they tasted like old, flavorless oyster crackers. I suppose the cheese-taste was not coming through. In any case, looking on the 'Net I found that they had been introduced in 2005! How is it I just noticed them now? I also found someone selling a bag on Ebay where the expiration date was 7/07/07. He wanted $100 to buy it now. That guy is crackers.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi, Testing the system again. Love to all. MOM