Sunday, May 20, 2007

Year 3, Day 81: I Don't Want to Work Out

I kept thinking "I'm not going to work out today, I'm going to skip." I was sick, it was raining and Magnolia had a birthday party to attend in the morning, which is usually when I go. It was only the second birthday party she has attended, and it was the first kid's birthday party I ever attended that was a "Whole Foods" party. That is, there was no High Fructose Corn Syrup. There was only Apple Juice. There was an omelet plate and a turkey bacon plate. The cake was cheesecake with strawberries. Everybody was very very frookie. I must tell you, I found it overwhelmingly odd that these two things that belong together (kids and healthy food) were in fact, and at long last, together at a birthday party. I did end up eating a strip of turkey bacon and an egg that I plated for Magnolia, who, naturally, refused it so she could focus on climbing on another child's head while chasing a balloon sculpture that was bigger than her. Lots of kids were refusing to eat. I kept thinking- how would I plan MY Whole Foods party? I think I would focus more on foods kids normally eat (pretzels, cheese sticks, small fruit like grapes) and not so much on adult food (lox and bagels and pancakes) that were not really appealing to the kids or really toddler-friendly. The party apparently was supposed to be an 'outside party' but the dripping wet swing set told the tale. As for my workout, In the end, I ended up going at 3:30 and did 7.2 miles in 65 minutes. I didn't do any weight training.

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!
Heritage Flakes
Strawberries
Blueberries
Banana
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Magnolia's party Snack
1 slice turkey bacon
1 egg

Lunch:
Salad
Brisket/Burnt Ends

Postworkout Snack
6 oz stonyfield yogurt
3-4 tablespoons super chunky peanut butter

Dinner
Steak Tips
Broccoli

Dessert
3 Chips

From the South Beach Newsletter: Chicken Fingers
What's for dinner? How about this fun, family inspired meal? It's sure to please diners of all ages!

Makes 4 servings (2 to 3 strips each)

Description
Try topping a mixed green salad with these tasty strips, or enjoy them with a South Beach Diet®-friendly condiment. If you can't find whole-wheat bread crumbs, make your own: Toast a slice of whole-wheat bread in a 300°F oven until dry, about 10 minutes. Pulse in food processor until fine crumbs form.

Ingredients
3 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 eggs
1/2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
Salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Instructions
1. Trim excess fat from chicken. Lay pieces on counter; cover with parchment or wax paper. Pound each piece to an even 1/2-inch thickness. Cut each piece into 3 equal strips.

2. Whisk eggs with a pinch of salt in a shallow bowl. In a separate bowl, combine crumbs, flour, salt, and pepper.

3. Working with one piece at a time, dip both sides of strip into egg mixture. Transfer to crumb mixture; pat both sides of chicken with crumbs. Set strips on a wire rack to air-dry.

4. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add strips and cook, 4 minutes per side, until golden brown and crisp. Serve hot.

Per serving:
275 calories
27 g protein
16 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
11 g total fat
2 g saturated fat
157 mg cholesterol
205 mg sodium

No comments: