Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Year 3, Day 63: I Force Magnolia to Eat a Banana

Magnolia has had a case of diarrhea that we have been trying to address over the past few days. There have been several fronts: electrolytes - through gatorade (though "ice rain" is the only kind without high-fructose corn syrup and artificial color that I could find) through pedialyte (though trotted out by pediatricians from coast to coast, is universally and consistently reviled by children) and its imitators (Gerber's liquilytes, which is the exactly the same as pedialyte). We've been watching the sodium, giving her a diet of dry, salty foods (crackers, rice, toast) and on the advice of our doctor, avoiding all dairy except yogurt. I had been trying to get her to eat a banana for a few days, but she refused. She has a long history of asking for a banana and then not eating it, so when it's just me, Magnolia and banana it's a tense situation. The doctor also suggested the banana might be the best thing for her, so I did what parents have done for generations when they need a kid to eat something- they cover it in sugar, and in this case, chocolate, more specifically, nutella. It worked like a charm.

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!
Heritage Flakes
Strawberries
Blueberries
Banana
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Postworkout Snack
6 oz. Stonyfield Yogurt
3 Tablespoons Super Chunky Peanut Butter

Lunch
4-day old turkey
Salad

Snack
Almonds & Cashews
A handful of butter microwave popcorn
.5 oz Boston Lite popcorn

Dinner
Robert's Turkey Crumble
Lettuce Leaves
Chicken Breast

Very rare mid-week workout. 6.5 miles in 65 minutes then 80 ab crunches. Feeling good about the washboard abs. Could take another year, if I keep up this blistering pace. I must seek professional help, but honestly, the trainers usually ignore me in favor of the younger and older folk. I keep telling myself to make an appointment but I never think about working out while I'm at work. Is that wrong?

No comments: