Sunday, July 17, 2005

Day 140: Thinking About Ray


For some reason, I am visited by thoughts of my friend and former college roommate Ray (pictured here with his daughter, Halie) whenever I go to the gym. I believe that this is often because he, more than anyone, both by his urging and his example, tried to get to me to be active, whether it was drafting me to be on his ice-broomball team or rousting me out of bed in the morning. Prior to sweating in the JCC, and a ten year run of tennis with Emily, most of the sweating I did athletically in my life was in his presence. He was an all-star's all star as an athlete: he could run, and would play any sport if a bunch of guys were getting it going. He was an amazing guy who truly helped me to be the person I am. I guess I am also thinking about him a lot because he would have been 41 tomorrow, but that he worked at the World Trade Center in NYC and you know the rest of that story. I know he would have got an amazing kick out of the fact that I was working out and trimming down. I'm sure he would have challenged me to a race of some kind, which I undoubtedly would have lost. I sure do miss him.

Breakfast
2 Strips LRTB
2 Eggs Over Easy (just absolutely perfect proving that patience is a virtue)
~3 oz. Jalapeno Lite Cheddar
Tea

Pre Workout Snack
1 Slice "When Pigs Fly" Anadama bread
1 Tsp Peanut Butter

Lunch
6 oz Strawberry Lite Yogurt
1.5 Cup Fruit: Blackberries, Blueberries, Strawberries
1/4 cup Almonds

Post Lunch Snack
1/2 cup Cashews
2 Slices Ham
1 oz Jalapeno Lite Cheddar

Dinner
Trout Cambodien
Stir-fry Peppers and Onions

So I was at the gym today. I did 3 miles in 45 minutes on the elliptical machine. I did bring my ipod which was good because on the TV was ESPN but it was a hunting show. Last week it was a 30 minute infomercial about starving african children. I must speak to the management—can't they just play videos? Even a simple blue screen would be more appealling.

Felt like I ate a lot today, but this is mostly because I was so hungry prior to going to the gym (I went at 12:30ish) so I had to eat, and then of course when I came back I also had to eat, but it wasn't exactly lunch, and so, well you get the picture.

I am considering a trip to Detecto on Wed (July 20th)—just to get a 'last weigh in' prior to Ruby's birthday, which was of course my line in the sand. Why not, right? I may as well know exactly what I weigh going into the weekend of semi-debauchery.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gasped - literally gasped - when I opened the blog because, well, there he was. With his daughter. My old ice-cream partner from the mid-80's who could eat a whole lot of White Mountain product in one sitting....

The fact that Ray had two daughters was a source of endless pleasure for me, though I also think about what it would have been like to be his son. I guess in some ways, other than his friend and roommate and ice broomball teammate (!), you were that a little bit. I see him shaking his head at you, half-smiling but tsk-ing. Sometimes it was like he was the big kid and we were the little ones because he was a whole year older.

I think I'll have a second piece of Ruby's ice-cream cake in his memory (though in my mom's memory I'll try to make it a sliver instead of a chunk).

love you rob and ray.

e

Anonymous said...

It's so sad...but I'm glad you and Em are both taking time to remember him....Nothing to add to this. Love you all. MOM (alias anonymous)