Saturday, July 09, 2005

132: Nothing New

A big day, and as expected, a non-routine day, therefore a somewhat not-so-great eating day. Due to overcast skies, I decided that Ruby and I would go see the Butterfly Garden at Museum of Science. This small idea turned into a nearly all-day affair, culminating in a Boston Duckboat tour (Ruby insisted). There was a bit of catch-as-catch can in the eating department. Then we came home and found we had almost nothing for dinner (except salad) so Emily went out and brought back some prepared foods (doesn't she do enough cooking during the week?). The problem with prepared foods is they so often contain sugar or other things that I am trying to avoid. Throwing caution to the wind, I ate them anyway, then agreed to put Ruby in the baby-jogger and push her heft around the block twice, so maybe I got my heartrate slightly elevated there. Tomorrow should be a trip to the gym and/or the pool.

Breakfast
1 Mestamacher Bread
1 Tsp Peanut Butter
2 oz Jalapeno Lite Cheddar Cheese

Snack
1/4 Mixed Unsalted Nuts
3 dried apricots
several salted peanuts (I split a 1-oz bag with Ruby)
2 MORE oz Jalapeno Lite Cheddar Cheese
2 Strawberries

Lunch (#1)
Asian Salad at the Museum Cafe (It was a chopped salad* with chicken)
Cheese of 1 Slice of Pizza

Lunch (#2)
2 Skewer of Chicken Kebab from the pretend Blue Ribbon @ Whole Foods, Cambridge

Dinner
Big Salad
1.5 Pork Something
2 Steak Tips

*Chopped Salad for those of you who might not have old Jewish relatives, or live in Florida, or in the proximity of a restaurant with a 75 page menu (The Cheesecake Factory, for instance) is a salad that has a multitude of ingredients and is diced finely so that people with old or borrowed teeth can enjoy salad. The version at the Museum Cafe contained chicken (so it was reported, though little was actually found) and won-tons, which I discarded when I could determine that the beige thing was not in fact a piece of chicken.

On the way back from our duckboat tour, we went to Whole Foods, where I noted that the Blue Ribbon BBQ that's built in (and therefore, suspect) was offering chicken kebabs. They were not big chunks like you would find in a Middle Eastern restaurant; they were tiny ones like you might find on a passed hors d'oerves tray. Even though it had sugar, I ordered them because I was very hungry and a massive line sprung up behind me nearly instantaneously, increasing the pressure I already felt to choose. Aside from the sugar in it, it was swathed in some fruit sauce (I think it was apricot). Decidedly un-blue ribbon and almost garnering a rating of "not very good." For a side I got string beans which were in fact, inedible.

On the way home, Ruby offered me part of her cookie. I passed. But I have been thinking about what I would eat if I went off the diet. The truth is, I'm not sure I CAN go off the diet. I mean, maybe a BITE of pizza, or a BITE of this or a BITE, but I don't think I could eat, say a whole SLICE of sheet cake. That doesn't mean I wouldn't TRY.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rough day eating wise but sounds like fun with Ruby....which is very important. I think you know about hunger what we know about pain and anxiety...the better you can do to nip it in the bud the easier it is to manage.Love, MOM