Saturday, May 12, 2007

Year 3, Day 73; Another Bat-Mitzvah

Getting ready in the morning for the Bat-Mitzvah I was thinking about how I could stave off my 10:30 hunger pangs when I would probably be in temple. Also, I was having visions of stuffed derma in my head. Nearly every single Bar and Bat-Mitzvah I went to growing up had stuffed derma. You couldn't get it away from it. By Mitzvah #14 I was brave enough to try it, and depending on the level of class of the event, it was sometimes very good. But for the most part I learned to avoid it, pushing it away from my plate with a well-practiced dexterity, so I could eat my flavorless chicken and too-flavored, over-salty rice, and uncooked or overcooked vegetables. Most of the time, it was better that standing near the parquet dance floor and not dancing, just bobbing my head along with the same 15 songs (like A Fifth of Beethoven, Fly Robin Fly and You Make Me Feel Like Dancing by Leo Sayer).

Breakfast
2 crusts of bread with super-chunky peanut butter
Kashi

Bat Mitzvah/Lunch
Lox
Egg Salad & Tuna Salad
Salad
Cheese from Pizza Slices (~5)

Snack
1 oz. Boston Lite Popcorn

Dinner
Peppadew-Talapia a la Jane (Fantastical!)
Cabbage-Apple-Dill Salad
Assorted Vegetables

As it turned out, this Bat-Mitzvah was a very low-key affair. Bagels, Lox, Salad, Pizza (very good) and cakes and stuff. It took a little work to make a good SoBe plate but I managed it OK. Also managed to avoid all of the desserts. Ruby and Emily both so knocked out from the 1 hour car trip both ways and the event that they fell asleep in the car—we left Magnolia at home. When I got home, Ruby and I set out again and Emily crashed. Later in the evening, my brother-in-law and I spontaneously caught a Saturday night showing of Spider Man 3. Much to my amazement, it was really, really poor. People were laughing in the wrong places, and I caught myself looking at my watch and wishing I had some popcorn to eat.

No comments: