Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Year 2, Day 99: Spring Thoughts

Today probably was going to be the best walking day of the week. Instead of a walk, I went to Russo's, which is necessary, because I was out of celery, and I am nearly at the point where I must travel with celery all the time. Emily had a tennis date this evening, so I came home early to be with the kids. Fortunately, everyone ate a good dinner and then braving the mosquitos, we went out for about 90 minutes. It was warm enough, and the sun was out, and there was a light breeze. After 10 minutes out there alone, for some reason, all the kids in the neighborhood just materialized, one by one. The park was crawling with kids. Big and small, boy and girl. Everyone was screaming and running and swinging and having a great time. Though it wasn't quite the dog days of August, it did seem like one of those moments that you remember from being a kid—just the spontaneous burst of great playtime, when everything in the world was in a game that had its rules being made up as you went along, nothing in the world is wrong, and there were enough swing seats for everyone.

Breakfast
2 Eggs Over Easy
1/2 Chicken Sausage Link
Tea

Snack
3 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
8 Sticks Celery, 2 Tblspns Peanut Butter
12 oz Coffee (Half Decaf)

Lunch: Russo's ($5.77)
Red Leaf, Red Onion, Red Pepper
Chick Peas, Chicken, Feta, Broccoli
Olives, Oil & Vinegar

Dinner:
Chicken Breast
Broccoli & Peppadews
Two Cheese Sticks

They say that eating while standing up is not a very good thing to do. "They" further say that taking the time to eat your food, to really savor it, is the key to making it satisfying enough that you don't overeat. I have a hard time savoring my food. Ever since the seventh grade, when I had, and I kid you not, 20 minutes for lunch. Since then, I have been a food gulper. You can time me—I will finish my meals in less than 20 minutes all the time. I am a broken product of an uncaring school system! I realize that one of the problems I have is that if I took longer to eat, I would probably be full before I was done. As is, I always finish before I'm full, which leads me to feel hungriest right after I'm done, and then being forced to eat cheesesticks that my daughters both abandoned for dessert.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I don't think it's just the school system. I'm a fast eater too. I hope the weather for the weekend is better...we've had so much rain. Love, MOM