Monday, June 12, 2006

Year 2, Day 105: Back in Boston

Even if it's restful, going away can sometimes feel like depriving yourself of a weekend. You come back and you're tired, and you just have to get back in the saddle. It's June in New England and usually that's a pretty good time because it's not too hot but the days have that powerful sun that usually makes you glad to be outside. Unfortunately, it looks like rain this week, so I knew we needed to get walking right away. Today we went for a brisk walk around the Charles and it was good.

Breakfast
1 Cup Kashi Go Lean!
3/4 cup Heritage Flakes
1 Cup Blueberries
1 Cup 8th Continent

Snack
12 oz Coffee (half decaf)
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
6 Stalks Celery
2 Tablespoons Super Chunky Peanut Butter

Lunch: Peter's Kitchen
Greek Salad with Chicken

Dinner:
93% Sirloin Burger
Emily's Stir-Fried Cabbage
Peppadews
Bubbie's Pickles

As I continued down my trail of fretting about the corn-fed beef, I felt it necessary to inquire both on the Web, where www.eatwild.com has good links to information and national farms to get grass-fed beef, and in my local Whole Foods, who told me that the Alewife store had a selection of grass-fed beef. The meat-man I spoke to said that he had tasted and wasn't convinced it tasted better. I asked what the meat they served was. He said that Whole Foods served a combination of 'grass and grain.' Then I thought "what if Grass-fed beef doesn't taste good to me because I've been trained to like this other corn-fed taste?" I have decided to pursue it (since Alewife isn't that far). If it's good, I could see going to a farm and stocking up. If not...there will probably be less beef eating.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Yes, you must watch that corn fed beef especially on Passover. 69 years and I didn't know that. I wonder if the grass fed beef tastes better. It doesn't seem that it would make a great deal of difference in taste but who knows? Love from D.C. MOM