Thursday, June 29, 2006

Year 2, Day 121: Greek Pizza & More Tennis

Today it was a near perfect day for walking and three of us from the DWG went out. Though we always cover a wide variety of topics, I was allowed to rant on my favorite topic— the prevalence of "Greek" Pizza in our society that masquerades as "Regular" Pizza. Now I have nothing against the Greek people, and I really have nothing against Greek Pizza. I just feel that it should be clearly identified as "Greek" Pizza instead of being called Pizza, which is misleading. One of my coworkers fired back that as long as the ingredients are cheese, tomato sauce and pizza dough there should be no difference. As a supporting argument, I used the examples of "Sicilian" and "Chicago" or "New York" style Pizza. Why do they make these distinctions but no one points out when it's Greek? I, in fact, like Italian pizza better than Greek pizza. For one, it's larger, it's more tomato-y, it has a thinner overall crust but a thicker edge crust. Greek pizza is more uniform, flatter, more cheese. You can tell a Greek pizza just by looking at it—and Greek sub shops all over Massachusetts try to make them indistinguishable from their Italian counterparts by offering the same exact fare, but they are always tripped up by their insistence on "Greek" style Pizza (and occasionally, the baklava for dessert). No one on the walk agreed with me, but I feel strongly about this and I will continue my campaign.

Breakfast
Joseph's 5 Net Carbs Wraps
1 Egg
1 oz. Cubed Ham
Sprinkling of Cheese
Tablespoon of Salsa

Snack
50% Jalapeno Cheddar
4 Sticks Celery 2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter

Lunch: Russos ($5.85/$4.54)
Red leaf, red lettuce, red onion
chick peas, chicken, feta, tomatoes,


Pre-Tennis Snack
1/2 oz Boston Lite Popcorn


Dinner
Salad:Cabbage, Romaine, Broccoli, Feta
Chicken Breast

Emily met me for lunch today and we went to Russo's. We each got the salad bar and I was surpised that she didn't overdo it. The above prices represent mine and hers salad prices. I skeedaddled out of work today early so I could meet Emily on the tennis courts, as she recently 1) joined a local health club with an indoor tennis court (which I had only wanted to do for 10 years) and 2) entered a tennis tournament. So we've both been having a tennis renaissance and it's been exciting. Due to the fact that we had to move courts, and that a friend joined us, we didn't really keep score, but she was winning for most of the time. I was just glad to get out there and sweat. Then I came home and ate pretty much the exact same dinner as I had for lunch, except standing up. But the thing I always remember is that food tastes so much better after a workout when you're really, really hungry. Except Greek pizza, that is.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Yes I agree that food, any food tastes better when you are hungry...and especially after exercise when you feel you deserve it. As I am not a great pizza lover....I'll have to psss on the Greek Pizza issue. Love, MOM