Friday, February 03, 2006

Day 340: Thursdays


On Thursdays in my old life, I used to have a ritual. I would get up extra early (before kids that was 7ish) and get on a train to the South End of Boston where I would meet my brother. From there we would go to the South End's greatest breakfast hole, Charlies Sandwich Shoppe. Almost every Thursday we would have the same breakfast. For each of us, Two "dropped" eggs on their world-famous turkey hash, with melted cheese over it. In addition, we would sometimes get blueberry pancakes (with butter and syrup). Always coffee, and for me, orange juice and LOTS of water. After about 40 minutes of forking it in, I would take his car, drop him off at work at the Boston ad agency, and then I'd drive to Cambridge where I would work, eat lunch (amazingly) and then, at 6pm, retrieve him in Boston, where we'd drive to our card game. If you've just joined the blog, or can't remember, the card game was a night full of anti-South Beach foods at volumes that no normal person should consume. When i think how I did that every week for a year or two, it's no wonder I was 40 lbs overweight. Additionally, Friday mornings always found me SUPER tired from staying up late and consuming empty white carbs. Often Friday mornings would see me catching the 'hair of the dog', either at McDonald's or a Lemon Pie. It's really amazing that I'm still alive, when you think about it.

Breakfast
1 Large Slice, Balthazar Bread
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
2 slices of ham
Tea

Snack
20 Almonds
1 Cheese Stick
6 oz. Plain Yogurt
1/4 cup Kashi Go Lean
2 Tblspns Peanut Butter

Lunch: Christos
Greek Salad with Chicken
Oil & Vinegar Dressing

Dinner
Steak Tips
Green Beans
Pickles

Another Domaniac and I went for a VERY brisk walk today, which was good, because I need it, and this was looking to be the only good day of the week. Though it was cold, there were a few warm spots. It was an interesting Groundhog Day, because I could never understand why they care about 'predicting' whether there will be more winter or not. There's always more winter in New England, and it rarely ends on March 22nd, when it's supposed to. All of the warm days this winter have frustrated my friends who are skiers, and greatly alarmed me, but I have been glad to take advantage of it. Today's CNN article about Groundhog day seemed to support my point, when they wrote "The National Environmental Trust said it's groundhog-suit-wearing human 'will ignore his shadow and will instead rely on global warming evidence to forecast an early spring.'"

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi, Yes it is impressive to think about how you used to eat. I'm so proud that you have changed your life style! What's very interesting is that all that good food at Charley's didn't seem to fill you up. Hope you are feeling better. Love, MOM