Sunday, September 25, 2005

Day 209—SoBe: Meet Cake, Eat Cake. Growl.

One of the things that Emily and I have not yet mastered is how to plan a car-trip at lunch time. Fortunately for our kids, we have gotten good at making things they can eat in the car (thank God for hot-dog buns!). But otherwise, it's a rather lonely parade of nuts, fruits, cheeses. Emily did have an exciting discovery about eating a Fuji apple (my Mom was right) and a Cracker Barrel cheese stick together. It's amazing how eating right is sometimes its own reward. The footnote is when you're hungry and you stop at a McDonald's. But more on that later.

Breakfast:
Eggs
Bacon
Cheese

Pre Car Ride Snack:
Apple with Peanut Butter
Coffee

Car Ride:
Cantaloupe Pieces
Nuts-a-plenty

Lunch
Whole Wheat English Muffin
Melted Jarlsberg
Tuna Salad

Dinner
Hummus
Cucumber and Tomato Salad
Eggplant in Tomato Sauce
2 Fried Feta Egg Rolls
About 5 Chicken Kebab
1 Swordfish Kebob
~1 glass white wine
1 Maddening Grab at some ice Cream Cake

We went to the New York metro region (in this case, actually New Jersey) to celebrate my father-in-law's 82nd birthday. It wasn't his birthday (but it was close) and there was a big gathering with family at what I must admit is a fantastic Middle Eastern restaurant. Now usually, if I'm gearing up to go to a party, I would eat something right before hand, so as not to break into a mad-frenzy-feeding once arriving. However, today I was not so smart. I ate a big breakfast to try and tide me over for the car ride, and we ate a bunch in the car. Then we had just a wee-lunch at around 2pm, and so by 7pm (when food arrived at party) I was pretty ravenous. I mostly filled up on good SoBe stuff, but two fried feta egg rolls later I was swinging off the SoBe ladder dangerously. I tried to get it together but our hostess kept wine-ing me and on my way out of the party, I was taken aback at nearly an entire slice of ice cream cake that went uneaten. This, unexpectedly, caused me to lunge for it, and eat one big bite (with a bit of a snickers bar in it). I was loving and hating myself at the same time. Now, this is the same ice cream cake (or a version of it) from Ruby's birthday party. It is made with the greatest ice cream and lots of different candy, with a really oreo (with filling inside) crust. Words don't do it justice, but I sure was mad it got to me.

No comments: