Friday, September 23, 2005

207: A Dorito Came into My Life


Is it weird that I think I'll have to find a new breakfast or people will no longer be interested in reading my blog? I really, really want to find something else to eat for you, but I think I could eat the same three or four things everyday. One of the amazing things about being on the diet, and not eating carbs, is how infrequently I ever get to a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts or place like that. I can remember when a trip to Dunkin' or Starbucks was an everyday occurrence. Forget the money, but everyday it was a frosted oatmeal scone (from Beans); a corn muffin (from Au Bon Pain, still my favorite); or a coffee roll (from Dunkin Donuts). Starbucks, despite its stranglehold on the world, offers substandard bakery products that I don't miss. I also was a big bagel trafficker. Often (especially in 2000-2001) would I fetch a satchel of bagels'n'cream cheese for the office, sometimes quaffing several in a day. Yep, those were the good old days.

Breakfast
1 Lonely Ol' Piece of Wheat Toast
Peanut Butter
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Lite Cheddar
Tea

Der Snack-ums
1 Fuji Apple (they're quite good when you can keep them properly)
1/4 cup almonds/cashews
10 dried apricots

Lunch
Chinois Salad (from Not Your Average Joes)—A Travesty

Dinner
90% Hamburger
Sauteed Cabbage
Pickles
Peppadews
4 Doritos (2 Cool Ranch, 2 Regular)

My lunch today was problematic because it contained a huge quantity of fruit (oranges), a sugary dressing, and crispy Chinese noodles that were listed on the menu as "wontons." In my experience, wonton is a dumpling that comes in soup, not a fried noodle. In any case, there were so many that it made eating the salad difficult and because of the heavy, sugary dressing the fried noodles (not wontons) were disintegrating and so I could not separate them properly. Oh well, it's still better than a twinkie. When I got home it was "Back to School Night" so Emily skee-daddled while I was trying to get Ruby to eat her tuna. She usually likes it with tortilla chips, but tonight they had been shunted aside. Since tortilla chips are used as a substitute fork and promote the eating of the tuna, I was eager to get a chip into her hand, because in reality she had little to no interest in eating her tuna. So I thought, I'll just get one of the several hundred bags of Doritos from the closet and see if she'll like them. Of course, I try them first so she knows they are OK. Even then, she doesn't like either of them and both bags go to waste. However, I did note they have less carbs and fat than some yogurts I could mention. I'll have to keep that in mind....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the record: my favorite thing about this blog is and has always been the titles on your posts.

I saw "A Dorito came into my life" and had a very strong reaction from just those few words. I was giddy for some reason and then, just as quickly, felt so wistful. Something about the phrase just got me.

So how can a teeny little throwaway title evoke so much? Because, to paraphrase Anais Nin, we see blog titles not as they are, but as we are.

I LERVE YOU

Anonymous said...

For the record: my favorite thing about this blog is and has always been the titles on your posts.

I saw "A Dorito came into my life" and had a very strong reaction from just those few words. I was giddy for some reason and then, just as quickly, felt so wistful. Something about the phrase just got me.

So how can a teeny little throwaway title evoke so much? Because, to paraphrase Anais Nin, we see blog titles not as they are, but as we are.

I LERVE YOU

Anonymous said...

I have never double commented. Dammit!

Mom said...

Some people laughed at my six pack of comments one night. I agree that the titles are wonderful....as are the wry comments on life with a diet. Keep up the great work! Love, MOM