Tuesday, August 09, 2005

162: More Pitfalls and Pratfalls

I did see Detecto today, in case you were wondering.

Though I missed what I think would have been a SoBe friendly Pig Roast in Vermont this weekend, I still must face down the prospect of another card game this weekend, plus a trip to see my nephew at camp and a visit from my niece, who is a fruit-a-tarian and a lover of the glycemic big three: watermelon, pineapple and raisins. The only one off the list is bananas, so we caught a break there. I managed to stare down an ice cream cake tonight at our neighbor's house, and as I have repeatedly observed, being on a diet makes people angry. They don't like it when you're not going to eat what they put out. And why shouldn't they be angry? I'm angry. It is sort of criminal not to eat ice cream cake when it's summer. Actually, my snobbery about sheet cake probably helped me there more than any real diet-control. I mean ice cream cake isn't really cake—it's still ice cream. It doesn't magically turn into cake because of its shape any more than mud pies made by my daughter turn into real pies. Don't bother writing in, ice-cream cake lovers, you won't change my mind.

Breakfast
Mastemacher Bread
1 Tsp Peanut Butter
Tea
1.2 oz 50% Jalapeno Lite Cheddar

Snack
1/4 U.Cashews/S.Almonds

Lunch
Broccoli and Cheese Omelet
Ham Steak
Coke Zero

Dinner
Talapia-Wok-Emily
Green & Red Cabbage Salad

Unlike a cake, which is a specific thing, a salad can be anything just thrown together. That's why chopped cabbage in a bowl qualifies as salad, even though there was no lettuce, which is traditionally what makes salad salad, unless it's pasta or a meat salad, like tuna salad.

My real point here is how I have been trying desperately to observe anecdotally what, if anything can 'tide you over' better than another thing. For instance, many people believe oatmeal can 'tide you over until lunch.' While I have not found this to be true, it might be because I am not eating enough oatmeal. I bet if I ate two cups of oatmeal, I probably couldn't even eat lunch. But there are limits to what I'll eat. Today, however, I noticed that I did not require even my mid-afternoon snack. Yes, it's true I'm still feeling a bit sick, and yes, it's true that I downed 16 oz. (or two and one half servings) of Coke Zero, which is comprised of nothing but unpronounceable chemicals, caffeine and filtered water. But I noticed that my extremely protein-heavy lunch really kept me. So I wonder if that's the thing to do. Here I've been eating Rabbit food (like salads) when maybe that's not the key to staying light. The mystery continues...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I know you are trying so hard. So whatever Detecto says....you have really changed the way you eat and over time that has to be successful. Hope you're feeling better and that you navigate the "difficulties" of the week with energy and vigor. Love, MOM

deutschzilla said...

Why are you up at 4:30 in the morning? I detecto a problem.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the pig roast was SoBe friendly. No one would have noticed if you didn't grab an ear of corn. You must come next year, and wear short shorts.

You're really not going to tell us what Detecto said?

Anonymous said...

It's one thing to be annoyed when someone won't eat a dish you've spent time preparing, but anyone's who's put off because you won't eat the ice cream they bought ... well, they're just jealous that you can resist it and they can't.

Anonymous said...

I Detecto a type, hon. You said you DID see Detecto when I think you meant to write that you did not. Now you have the commenters confused.

e

bloomeanie said...

You're right, that was an unfortunate type-delete. I did NOT see Detecto. I am not keeping it from anyone. That's not my style.