Monday, April 18, 2005

Day 50: 95 Days to Go

I keep looking at two numbers: The calendar and the scale. My goal is to be under 200 lbs before Ruby's birthday in late July. Some have speculated this is so the whole family can get in the moon-walk (aka bouncy-bounce) but it's not true. It's actually because I am going to turn 40 and I thought I better make some changes in my life, because as I've realized "they aren't going to change themselves." As people who know me can attest, I have had a long-love affair with food. I realized the other day that for a long time I thought it was actually CHARMING to be wildly and unrepentantly out of control when it came to food. Even though ultimately it made me feel bad eating the way I did, I thought I was free. But I was not free. I was a shame-slave.

Breakfast
Two Slices Whole Wheat, Low-Carb bread
Two tsp Peanut Butter
4 oz. Yogurt
3 Blackberries

Shnackén
15 Almonds
30 Pistachios
1 Cheese Stick
3 Dried Apricot Slices

Lunch
Tuna Salad with Lettuce, Red Pepper, Cucumber, Swiss
No dressing

Dinner
Talapia a la Emily
Asparagus
Olives


I now think (depending on weigh-in results) that I could add one carby thing a day to my diet. Whether it's bread in the morning or pasta at night, it's nice to know that I can do that. Though I have not yet started my calorie counting I am already thinking of food groups (like fruits and carbs and dairy) like money, and I'm on a tight budget. You can't save if you spend like a sailor, and I can't lose weight if I allow myself to have desserts. For the past few days I have been working on an ad campaign for my sisters-in-law's ice cream shop, and I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that ADS FOR ICE CREAM MAKE YOU WANT EAT ICE CREAM. In case you didn't know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Just checking in to say hello and great going! Love your daily entries. Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

It WAS charming, but you still are. Did you like the Metsamacher bread or did you hate it- circle one. Last night I had guacamole with celery sticks instead of tortilla chips and you could hardly tell the difference! NOT!! Which whole wheat pasta brand do you like? The Adult Kimmy (see Em for clarification) told me that the problem with whole wheat pasta was that it tasted like whole wheat pasta.

Lurleen

Anonymous said...

It was charming to be out of control with fool? Am I missing something?

OK, maybe it was charming when you took a huuuuuuge bite of sub and your eyes got twice as big with the chewing, but.... you're ever so much more charming in other domains.

Anonymous said...

whoops, meant FOOD not FOOL. Interesting type-slip as those wacky Freudians might say.

Anonymous said...

dearest brilliant ad man. you are my hero. not just cuz you like to do mit the favors. and how do you think i feel working with 32 flavors every day. i committed to the ad. and when is your next weigh in? PLEASE bring your sneakers to eng. and we'll bring lots of extra racquets. we would love to get you out there. we will hit right to you. love, monny