Monday, April 04, 2005

Day 35: Confessions of a Fat Man

I have to admit that secret of all fat people everywhere. I am sad when dinner ends. There's just no denying it. I can't write much about its parallels to the life of the adults, because far too many of my nieces are reading this. But suffice to say there is a parallel where you spend a lot of your day preparing for and thinking about dinner, and so little time actually eating it. That being said I have also found myself thinking about great meals of the past that shall never pass my lips again, possibly in the way that disenchanted married people think on their past romantic affairs (I wouldn't know about that). Today the smell of a toasting bagel made me swoon, but like an alcoholic, I realized that until I get the news that I have six months to live, those days are gone (or pretty much gone, anyway).

Breakfast
Baked Salmon (the other kind of pink breakfast fish)
1 Yolk, 3 Whites Omelet with Cheese
Tea
1 Tsp of Peanut Butter

Snack
Olives
Celery with Hummus
~4 oz. Light Strawberry/Banana Yogurt

Lunch
Two Roll Mops
15 Almonds
Pickles

Dinner
Pork Loin Slices
String Beans & Carrots


I went for my first solo walk today. I was going to try and go to the gym at the JCC but there was a sort of "who's kidding who" realization so with Emily's help I decided I was better off taking the walk. The gym had been a plan when we thought we were going to be floating along the brimming banks of the Charles. It turned out to be a somewhat beautiful if colder than it should be for April afternoon. I walked down my block, and took the path that runs parallel to the Charles. It drops you off in the office park adjacent to my house and then even though it felt long, I realized I was about 5-8 minutes short of the walk time at work, so I walked around my block again. Even though I did the walk for the same amount of time, I doubt I was going as fast. But I was glad to have done it. Just more 'taking back the night' from my fat man's destiny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Missed you last night as I was already asleep...thanks to DST. I wish you wouldn't be so hard on yourself. What you are doing is so great....and it's so hard too. I think it's wonderful. Love, MOM
P.S. As of yesterday David is driving home with the kids for Passover. We have an hour for pictures on Sunday from 12-1 that's on April 24.