Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Day 43: Detecto Says "211"

Detecto is the name of the scale manufacturer (http://www.detectoscale.com/). It's just a detail I noticed when I was getting weighed in, the letters are spelled out vertically like in a superhero comic, and the name itself is like a superhero, 'the great detecto.' It felt like that kind of comic book moment when the nurse said 'let's call it 211," the letters would have all been bold and the background intensely red. It's now been officially six weeks since I started the South Beach diet and weight-loss program, and here I am 15lbs lighter. Though I am excited my progress (I celebrated with a scurvy-reducing apple), I realize with some caution that I am officially only at my half way mark. The walks are getting easier, though they are by no means a breeze. I am doing a lot of thinking and strategizing—I still have about 14 weeks to go. I must stay disciplined, not be tempted by the carbs and the treats and the pizza (or bagels). And in the "who would have thought" category, I actually found myself today having an in-depth conversation about a piece of exercise equipment.

The last thing about 211 is that in February 1992, after my brother's wedding photos came back, I was horrified at the way I looked. I weighed 205. Emily and I went on Weight Watchers, determined not to be fat at our own wedding, only seven months later. Though we both lost a lot of weight, I still think today that I've lost 15 lbs but I'm still heavier than when I thought I was close to needing the jaws of life (http://www.hurstjaws.com ) to get me out of my apartment. Of course that didn't happen, but I thought it was close at hand.

Breakfast
1 Cup All Bran Buds
3/4 Cup Fat Free Milk
Tea

Snack
Granny Smith Apple
2 Cheese Sticks
30 Pistachios
15 Almonds

Lunch
Chicken with Vegetables

Dinner
90% Sirloin Burger
Fried Onions
Salad with Goat Cheese
Pickles & Olives

This was a pretty good day. I had been eating Uncle Sam cereal for my occasional carby goodness and found it to be much like eating what falls under the lathe at woodshop, only moist from the fat free milk. I had resigned myself to eating the flavorless flaxseedy mulch because that's exactly what I expected from a cereal that's 'good for you.' (As I type this I sound like a kid in the Life cereal commercials) Due to a foul strawberry, I ditched the bowl this morning and tried the alternative, All-Bran. Now there a few moments in one's life when you really notice your age; when you first get behind the wheel of the car; when you first can buy liquor, and when you first voluntarily eat All-Bran. It was really good. I can't believe it, but I horked it down like it was Cap'n' Crunch. Then I thought, "when can I eat that again?" I had a bounce in my step because the thought that I could eat something in the morning that tasted yummy was very exciting. Then, the weigh in. And last but not least, a very brisk walk where I realized that I did not feel like I was going to keel over for the first 10 minutes, as usual. Got home during daylight hours and got to play with my kids. Tomorrow, I'm gonna think about playing tennis again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You like All Bran?? Say it isn't so! Does that mean no more yolk reports?

Anonymous said...

You might like this (they might like a story like that...) Last night I made rollmops of turkey pastrami around cheddar jack cheese and heated them in the toasted oven until said cheese just began to get melty. I *hearted* them. Also saw a recipe for Oprah's oatmeal (must be like Stage 3 or something, but it sounded good) Oatmeal mixed with one splenda packet, 1 T. hazelnut coffee creamer, handful of blueberries (for Scurvy prevention, most likely) and 6 almonds. I can live with that.

Anonymous said...

FIRST of all, we got married 9 months after your brother, not 7. Second, I'm thrilled to know that someone loves the yolk report as I do - Alice (I'm assuming Stone, not Keller). ROB'S FACE LOOKS DIFFERENT!!!!

And THOID, and I'm addressing this to Lurleen in a flagrant attempt to boost the blog commentary for my own purposes, thank you for being our Scurvy watchdog. BIg up to you. Meanwhile, I'm inching towards Deadwood because I went back over the Milch piece in the NYer and every time there was a script excerpt I had a little "uptick" in my excitement. Will keep you posted. Can Arrested Deveopment be far behind? Then we'll be all caught up, and all's that'll be left is to pour over that great American novel American Rhapsody by Joe - oh how the hell do you even spell his last name - and underline important passages while also writing "so true" in the margins next to observations as brilliant as only the mind behind Showgirls can make.

Anonymous said...

Emily, I sooooo know that you're going to *heart* Al Swearengen. One thing you should know: Folk ain't fresh in Deadwood.

In a feeble attempt to disguise the fact that we're hijacking the blog, let me add:

Go SouthBeach! (insert Black Power-type fist here, shaken hard)

Lurleen

Anonymous said...

You know, Lurleen, I sooooooooo verily know what you mean about Swear Again, or whatever the hell. I just love those deep grooves in his face - laws yes, a gal could get lost.

Oh, BTW, GO ROB!!! THERE IS LESS OF YOU, BUT OH SO MANY MORE REASONS TO BOW N SCRAPE BEFORE YOUR SOUTHBEACHEDY GOODNESS!

So anyway, yeah, Daydwood. S'on my list. Also - and this is in bad taste seein' as how it's a diet bloggedy-bloo - I chanced upon the new Ben And Jerry's line of screams today and there is a flavor called The Godfather! Can't remember if it features an old Siciliano message about the fudge-covered fishes (as Rob - to whom this blog usta belong - brilliantly posited) but there's a picture of a Godfathery-type torso on the package that is NOT modeled on the late Mr. Brando (may his memory be a biiiiig blessing) lest the consumer lose his/her appetite for the product. 4 or 5 other flavs too I can't recall.

....but where to begin?! Let's see....