Sunday, April 17, 2005

Day 49: Slippin' and Slidin'

As I worried from my perch on Phase One, what would Phase Two be like? Too much freedom? Not enough zealotry? How would I handle the freedom? As it turns out, it does take a lot more discipline than Phase One. Phase One is sort of just like 'quitting' all the foods you ate. Your list of foods you CAN eat is much shorter than the ones you CAN'T eat, so if you stick to the CAN list you don't have too many worries (except if you like variety in your meals). In Phase Two it's really loose, so you've got to be more on the ball. I have experienced this but so far my walks and general increased activity seem to have picked up any and all slack. I continue to be wary of very sugary foods and avoid white-carbs, but there's definitely been a loosening all over, which will continue to worry me until next weigh in.

Breakfast
2 Eggs (I broke them flawlessly in a bowl, then when I was absent-mindedly stirring the pan I broke one)
2 Slices Turkey Bacon
Tea

Snack
2 Bites of a Hot'n'Spicy Turkey Jerky stick that sickened me for the next three hours
15 Cashews
15 Almonds
4 oz. Vanilla Yogurt
1 Cheese Stick

1 Slice Mastemacher Bread (Rye Spelt, don't ask) with I Can't Believe it's Not Butter

Dinner
Sirloin Steak
Asparagus
Health Slaw (Cabbage, Red Cabbage, Red Pepper, Carrots)

So it was kind of a big eating day even though I thought at one point that I was never going to eat again. Over this weekend I had been thinking about the way I used to eat, and thought of what a day in my old life might have looked like, a la blog. I have added parentheses for modern day comments.

Breakfast
Oatmeal (Instant, which seems to be the only kind that has little or none of Oatmeal's health-inducing values)
Raisins (very high on the glycemic index)
Coffee with Milk (bad, bad)

Lunch
Italian Sub (Bread=bad; meats that are high in fat=bad, cheese that are same=bad. Obviously, I could have reduced how bad this actually was by making a rollmop out of it and eating only half of it; but often I horked down a whole sub).
Potato Chips (ditto)
Coke (high carb, high glycemic, more caffiene I didn't need)

Snack
Chocolate, Chocolate and More Chocolate
Also, Cracker Jack and/or Popcorn
Almonds
Dried, Sugared Mango Slices
Apricots

Dinner
20% of Ruby's Dinner Plus
Hamburger on bun, with chips of some kind or Rice
Pickles

Dessert
Rice Pudding, Chocolate Pudding or Ice Cream

Looking at that, is it any wonder that I was so heavy?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Your old ways are truly impressive. I can understand the worries of Phase 2 but it sounds good to me. When are you and Em and the girls planning to start down for the weekend? Love and much encouragement! MOM

Anonymous said...

Regarding Monica: I can't beieve it's plozzed and not plotzed. Must be that Eye-talian husband of hers influencing her spelling a la double z's. Sorry to highjack the blog a la William Safire, but it's gotta be said.

Meanwhile, I am still laughing from "wheated up" cereal and carbtopia. And, as always, the yolk report.

E