Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Day 45

My usual breakfast of turkey bacon and mostly broken-yolk eggs feels pretty big, so on carb days (when I eat whole wheat toast or all-bran) I am testing myself to see if I can eat less before lunch, because it feels like those breakfasts are kind of small. On those days I have introduced fruit (Apples, apricots, strawberries—mostly to avoid scurvy) and some yogurt. Losing the weight (4 lbs) while simultaneously adding the carbs and fruit tell me that I can probably manage some more forbidden foods down the road if I can keep up the exercise. This week I have gone for two walks which means I could be on track for three, plus whatever I can do this weekend. Caffeine is obviously OK but they say to watch it in case it produces an insulin spike that makes you reach for the carb/sugar/whatever is close by. Today I had a black coffee from Dunkin Donuts. That's it. Nothing in it. Just black. It was good. I think I could start drinking black coffee. I'm impressed with myself. It feels kind of macho. I must immediately rent "Steel Magnolias" to balance it out.

Breakfast
Two Slices of Wafer-Thin Whole Wheat Low Carb Toast
with Peanut Butter
Tea
1/2 Granny Smith Apple

Lunch (Split)
Peppered Chicken
Beef with Asparagus

Snack
Cheese Stick
15 Almonds
30 Pistachios
20 Peanuts

Dinner
Steak Tips
Fried Onions
Spinach with Garlic

I had Chinese food for the second day in a row for lunch, and though it was yummy, I felt the absolute need to go for a walk, because I felt the sugar and the corn starch was causing me anxiety about creating my dream of a 500-calorie deficit. By the time I could get ready for the walk it was 5:30 and most of my co-workers were not able to join me, but there was one and together we went out. As usual, I had brought my iPod in case I had to go out alone. When I got home Ruby was waiting for me on the bike and we had to go all the way around the block and then some. By the time I got to dinner (or Phoenix, if you're Glen Campbell) I was 500 calories hungrier. Another good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Great! Keep up the good work. Being in control is contagious. Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

steel magnolia slept 9hrs last night - a record!! helps to diet with enough sleep....

i am with bgd about control: i've always been a fan of it.

e