Sunday, February 25, 2007

Year 2, Day 359: Sunday Night at the Oscars

Emily and I used to host an Oscar party every year. We'd send out invites and have people over and watch the telecast. Of course, the concept was good but in practice fraught with problems. For instance, the show was always on a Monday (since moved to Sunday), a school night. Also, it always ran over and people had to leave before best picture. There was always an issue of what to make that would taste good and be appetizing when sitting on a plate for three hours in the middle of our living room. Our two constant items were deviled eggs and rice krispy treats. I'm not sure why those became our staples, but they were. Out of some waxy nostalgic urge, we almost made them again tonight, until we remembered that we had to give our kids baths, read to them and put them to bed while the opening monologue was happening, and probably the award for best supporting actor. Thank goodness for TIVO.

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!
Heritage Flakes
Blueberries
Strawberries
Banana
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Snack
A crust of Balthazar Bread (bread made for Magnolia)
Some Nuts
Some chicken from the soup I made

Lunch
Breast of Chicken
Romaine, Cabbage, Feta, Balsamic

Postworkout Snack
6 oz Plain Yogurt
3 Tablespoons Super Chunky Peanut Butter

Dinner
Rober'ts Turkey Crumble
Lettuce Leaves

Also
Banana-Nutella Muffin with Marshmallow Frosting

Though we consume bananas at a good clip, every once in a while two or so will get brown, and like my Mother before me, that will instantly signal that I must make banana bread or something like that. Today I found a recipe on the Internet for Nutella-Banana muffins which I made which came out very well even though all the measurements were in grams and milliliters and I had to take out my conversion calculator to get it right. Still, it wasn't very sweet so I probably did something wrong. In a fit of pique, I decided to whip up some icing (banana breads are notoriously dull) and came up with a fluff-plus-butter-plus vanilla-plus confectioner's sugar that I whipped in two minutes. They were a huge hit, and naturally, I ate half of one while creating one, and the another half when Ruby and Magnolia didn't finish theirs after dessert (they both ate all of the frosting off theirs, though).

Fortunately, between making Chicken Soup and baking muffins and dinner, I had time to go to the gym and do 7 miles in 65 minutes and do 50 ab crunches. I am really getting it down to a science, I think.

1 comment:

Mom said...

It's hard to bake and not to eat the fruits of your labor....part of the fun. It's great that you're getting the exercise piece in. I know that helps. Love, MOM