Friday, February 16, 2007

Year 2, Day 350: Workout in the AM

One of the great things about the JCC is on those now-rare days when I drop off Magnolia at preschool and then go work out. The mornings are generally not very busy and so I have the place to myself. This morning I ran seven miles in under sixty minutes at level five on the elliptical and burned of 600 calories. Then I went downstairs and did my 40 ab crunches (which continue to make me see blue stars) on the 45-pound setting. I drank my 32 oz of water and then I went to peek in on my daughter. I can't say I was enthralled by what I saw (lots of teachers resting and rubbing their heads instead of playing with children) but I content myself with the thought that that was just 10 minutes and maybe the other 10 minute segments are better. More on that as it develops.

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!
Heritage Flakes
Strawberries
Bananas
Blueberries
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Postworkout Snack
6 oz. plain yogurt
3 tablespoons super chunky peanut butter
1/2 of Magnolia's left over banana

Lunch: Russo's ($6.07)
Romaine, mushrooms, grape tomatoes
feta, chicken, broccoli, red peppers, red onions

Snackz
~1 oz. Boston Lite Popcorn
2 Sticks Beef Jerky

Dinner
1 Chicken Thigh, 1 Slice Brisket
Cauliflower
Carrots & Celery & Onions
1 Square Chocolate

Friday's at Kiki's
In 1999 and 2000 when I was working at Soldier's Field Road, living in Chestnut Hill and playing in a card game every Thursday that broke up past 1AM, Friday mornings were always tough. I had prearranged with my boss(es) that Friday mornings would be late, which meant I would saunter in between 10AM and 10:30. To get up and get showered, dressed and to work was a somewhat Herculean task, and to be honest, I didn't do any of those things that well. Though McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts were en route and frequent breakfast sites, I discovered a convenience store called KiKi's in Brighton on a short cut to work that became my regular spot. My sad but true goal in these mornings was to get coffee and something I could hold in my hand to eat, since it was often nearing 10 or after by the time I got anywhere near work. Dunkin Donuts was a bad choice to me, even then, because I would always want to get the coffee roll. Even at my weight, I avoided that mostly, but McDonalds could take too long. If I remember correctly there might have been a company meeting at 10 or 10:30 and it was considered bad form, but very common for people to bring their breakfast there. At Kiki's I discovered that they nearly always had Hostess Lemon Pies, which are all my time favorite thing to eat and when they were out, they also sold pop-tarts in special two-paks. Though I loved chocolate and strawberry, I often got cinnamon, because it was somehow 'better for me.' What a joke! Now when I see a 226 pound man eating a pop-tart two pak, I just shake my head, tsking as loud as I can. But that's who I was, and that's what I did, and I liked it.

No comments: