Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Year 2, Day 278: Unsatisfying Excursion to Allston

As readers of this blog know, I have been taking excursions with the Domania gang to Allston to try out new restaurants. A few weeks ago, we were seeking Korean BBQ and so I looked it up on Chowhound and Yelp (two good sites to look at if you're looking for real opinions about restaurants). I didn't find what I was looking for but I found a lot of nice comments about a restaurant called "Colors." Now I regard "Colors" as a rather poor choice for a name for a restaurant, but I didn't let that deter me. I suggested we go there, and the gang, eager for good new eats and new untried ethnic cuisines, was quick to agree. Sadly, it did not go well. It was not a disaster, meaning the food was inedible; slimy; horrific; or gristle-laden; but everything was deep fried. The menu was strange. Everything on it was either deep-fried or covered in gloopy sauces that were actually russian dressing. The "sides" came in bowls that one usually associates with keeping one's earring posts in. The sausage appetizer was made from ingredients that no one at the table could identify. And believe me, the people at the table had been to a lot of different countries, and tasted a lot of different foods. After one or two bites, no one wanted to try to identify the sausage ingredients anymore. I was almost certain that rice was one of the ingredients, which would have been enough for me to stop eating it if the absolutely toungue-depressing flavor hadn't already.


Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean
heritage flakes
banana
blueberries
unsweetened soy milk
coffee

Lunch: Colors / Korean Restaurant:
sausage of unknown ingredients
Deep fried pork cutlet
cabbage with russian dressing
1 deep fried won-ton
kim chee
bean curd
egg
sprouts
tea

Dinner:
Pork Cutlet
Cabbage
Asparagus

Then I got home and it was more pork. I thought "I am eating a lot of pork tonight." After the kids ate dinner, they found that they liked the pork, but unfortunately I deemed that what was left was not cooked properly. So Emily, who lives with my neurosis, cooked it up some more and the kids ate it up. I remember thinking "I wonder if eating this much pork is a good thing?" It turned out that it was not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How many calories do I need each day? Learn more. To learn more, please visit Weight Loss