Saturday, December 09, 2006

Year 2, Day 281: The Night Before Sickness

Saturday after poker, a tradition, like the day after New Year's Eve for some people. I don't drink, I don't eat too badly and I don't even inhale anything. So why am I so tired and worn out? Well, usually it's from a marathon day, up at 6:45ish and to bed at about 2:30am. It's hard to go to bed when I get home from the game, I'm usually pretty wound up, which is surprising because we're really just sitting around, playing cards, and eating nuts. What's so exciting about that? Yet every time after a game it's like after a long car trip—you're excited to be home, and attacked by competing desires to lay down and rest and to get busy doing whatever it is you think you need to be doing now that you're back at home. We've tried to leave earlier but that takes a discipline that's hard to find, and very hard to practice. So Emily lets me sleep mostly, which is a very, very nice thing to do.

Breakfast
Ikea Muesli
Heritage Flakes
Banana
Blueberries
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Lunch:
Salad
Chicken Thighs
Feta, Cabbage, Balsamic

Snack
1 Pink Lady Apple

Dinner
Tequila Shrimp
Guacamole
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
A few bites of hamburger
a few bites of dirty brown rice

I bought Muesli at Ikea and started using it on my cereal in the morning. It's quite good, though slightly higher in calories, carbs and sugars than Kashi Go Lean! but it contains fruits and it's pretty good tasting, I would highly recommend it to people who are looking for alternative things to eat in the morning. For dinner we got a 'surprise' delivery from our next door neighbor of dinner from "Let's Dish." If you're not familiar with that it's a store that claims you can make dinner without going to the grocery store (but neglecting to say that you have to go to "let's dish.") To quote their Web site:

"Imagine making nutritious, restaurant-caliber meals your family loves – with no trips to the grocery store, no time-consuming preparations, and no messy clean-up – all for LESS per serving than it costs to buy take-out or fast food. Oh, did we mention you can do it in less than two hours?
Let's Dish! is an innovative store where you can make (or pick up) family-friendly dishes designed to be frozen and cooked when you need them. Unlike frozen food from the grocery aisle, these dishes taste fresh and homemade – because they are."

Anyway, the problem for me with Let's Dish is that everything is made with either sugar, carbs, or both. So "Tequila Shrimp with Dirty Rice" has everything so naturally I was less than enthused about eating it. Does anyone like Tequila so much that they want to eat it without its pleasant mind-numbing effects? And no worm? Anyway, I skipped the 'dirty rice' and I was fine, but Emily felt bad and never recovered. Of course, seen now over a few days we know that she probably got whatever Magnolia had, but it was looking pretty bad for the dirty rice for a while....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, Sorry to hear that Emily was down. I suspected it wasn't the "dirty rice" but who knows. I get rev'd playing bridge too and it doesn't matter whether I play well or poorly...both happen alas. How nice of your neighbors to provide dinner! Love, MOM