Monday, January 23, 2006

Day 330: Yet Another Snow Day in Needham

Amazingly, though the forecast called for snow during the 5AM-10AM hours, and possibly 6 inches (which is not by typical New England January parameters) school was not closed. I woke up for some reason at 3:30am and went downstairs to check the school closings list and look outside. No snow. I got up again at 6:30am and it was like white out conditions but still no Needham cancellation. I think that they are still trying to make it up for the time they cancelled school when it was only raining and every parent got mad. Anyway, I knew we were going to be late so I drove Ruby to school and when I passed her bus stop, everybody was waiting there freezing, so I gave them all a lift. The roads were really awful but it was only a mile and half. When I got there all the teachers were somewhat in shock that there was school and a lot of parents were dropping their kids off and buses were late everywhere. I was scheduled to go into work until 12 and then take Ruby to her first Dentist appointment (OK, we're late), but I knew then there was no point in going to work and then having to leave again in an hour because the roads were so bad. I stayed at home, and that often means going off the routine, but I did OK.

Breakfast
1 Slice Balthazar Multi-Grain Bread
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar Lite
2 Slices Black Forest Ham
Tea

Snack
1 Stick Celery
Coffee with Unsweetened Soy Milk
15 Almonds
1 Cheese Stick
6 oz. Plain Yogurt with
Lots of Peanut Butter, 1/4 cup Kashi Go Lean

Lunch
Muenster Omelet
2.5 Strips Turkey Bacon
6 oz. V-8

Dinner
Pan-Sauteed Chicken
Broccoli with Lite Soy
Pickles & Peppadews

I realized today that there are days when I am just going to be very hungry. Whether that is caused by stress, work, being tired or actual hunger I cannot always tell, but it seems that I'm going to have to turn to celery and broccoli during the day if I'm going to get anywhere. I noticed as I was prepping the broccoli today that I like to eat the stems raw quite a bit. I decided I would bring some to work tomorrow to just keep around and just chomp on if the mood (and need) strike. I know that if I am to attain my goal weight I must: 1. Add more exercise and 2. Vary my diet. These are big challenges. Thank goodness I have all of 2006 to conquer them (though really only till Ruby's birthday to achieve the next 8 lbs).

2 comments:

Mom said...

I'm one of those people that think broccoli in a form is delicious...so keep those stalks and flowerets coming. Great idea to take them to work and gnaw when you're hungry. Chewing is really helpful. Looking forward to seeing you all soon. Love, MOM

Don in CA said...

Broccoli stems are great! What a waste to toss them. Sliced lengthwise they are crisp and tasty. Have you ever tried "Brocco-Slaw?" It's packaged like cole slaw, and with a bit of yogurt dressing you have a high fiber, filling snack (I'm making this up as I go along---that's how all those crappy books get written,isn't it?)

Some company is selling green tea patches that you wear---guaranteed 10 pound wt. loss in ?six weeks. People will believe anything!

Sunny in San Diego, in the 60s every day. We need rain!