Saturday, January 14, 2006

Day 320: Rejectionist at the Sheet Cake

On the third of three incredibly warm days, to celebrate an employee having a baby, we all went out to lunch to a Greek place nearby. The food was good, but we ordered a lot (we were hungry). There were appetizers, salad and entrees. Good thing we didn't bring the sheet cake to the restaurant as I had originally planned. After a big meal everyone needed a lot of walking in the crisp day, but instead we went back to the office and sat down and the heat was cranked up so we were all passing out. Around 4:00pm we broke out the sheet cake for the celebration and there was much rejoicing. As usual, I refused the sheetcake, but I can tell you that it was a good one—it just looked incredible. I knew its moistness; I knew its sweetness; I knew its texture. But I did not, in the biblical sense, "know" the sheetcake. Now that's Phase One talking. I would have allowed myself a sliver on Phase Two/Three. Such is my sense of timing.

Breakfast
2 Microwaved Eggs
2 Slices Ham
6 oz. V-8

Snack
30 Pistachios
1 Cheese stick
12 oz. Coffee (half decaf)
6 oz Plain Yogurt
2 Tsps Peanut Butter

Lunch
Saganaki (Cheese)
Hummus
"Double" Salad with Feta
Beef Kebab with Mushrooms, Peppers and Onions
Green Beans

Dinner
Emily's "Kicked Up" Chicken Salad
Broccoli with Soy
Pickles

It was a regular cheese-fest today, what with a cheese stick for snack, feta on the salad and a dish called "Saganaki" which claims to be "Kaseri Cheese Flambe" but is really just a bowl of boiling hot melted cheese served with a lemon wedge. It happens to be delicious, which is counter-intuitive since it's only claim to fame is resembling the top ingredient of a cheese pizza. However, all of us (except one) consumed two bowls of it (though it's sheep cheese—sorry, M) so they clearly what they're doing. Our dinner was pretty small, which turned out to be a blessing since it was probably the biggest eating day I've had on my second go-round of Phase One. Only three more breakfasts to go before my beloved toast is to return. It's too bad it's a holiday weekend, sure would love to curl up with a Cinnabon. Maybe in the next life.

2 comments:

Mom said...

You make it sound so good that I begin to salivate while reading. Amazing will power you demonstrate...Take that Mr Detecto!! HAve a splendid weekend. I'm playing bridge wtih Debbie tomorrow in a tournament. Love, MOM

Caitlin said...

I'm dying to know where you get the saganaki!