Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Day 309: Goodbye Toast

I can't remember who it was, but it was some one I read an interview with (probably Depardieu) was bemoaning the ubiquity of places like Au Bon Pain, specifically one called Bon Jour Pain, America in the late 80s. He said in response that he was going to open up a place in France that served American fare to be called "Hello Toast." That has little merit and even less comedy, but that's what I'm thinking about as I prepare to go on Phase One again. I have mostly done three things to prepare: shop; get my South Beach source material out, and read my first two weeks worth of blogs. While there will be a return to nut-counting, the saddest thing of all will be a temporary separation from my true love, Balthazar Multi-Grain toast with super chunky peanut butter.

Breakfast
Two slices Balthazar Multi-grain toast
3 oz. 50% Jalapeno Light Cheddar
Peanut Butter
Tea

Snacks
A bunch o nuts
2 oz. Cracker Barrel Cheese
9 Melba Toast (Whole Wheat) Rounds
1 Jonagold Apple

Lunch
1 Cup Whole Wheat Rotini
Pesto
4 Slices of Black Forrest Ham

Dinner
Whole-Wheat Drenched Tilapia Fry
Sauteed Cabbage a la Emily

I must say that as I was afraid of entering the South Beach diet fray for the first time, I am again somewhat concerned. But I realize now that what it takes is a commitment and a willingness to suffer (if you can call it that) from hunger. Also, from reading the new book South Beach Diet: Good Fats, Good Carbs Guide (Revised) I have been able to learn more about how to eat and what to keep in heavy rotation and what to limit (hint: toast is not in 'heavy rotation'). On the plus side, they have lightened up on the bananas and carrots. I must finally say that none of this would be possible without the support of Emily, who has been my cook, my rock and my friend throughout. Additionally, I need to re-thank everyone at work for being incredibly supportive and helpful and obviously, everyone who's reading this now—I could not keep on without the writing and without readers there would be very little purpose (not none, but a lot less).

2 comments:

Mom said...

Hi, Remember phase one is only two weeks and toast will once again be incorporated into your diet. I don't know about you but even when I eat what I love for breakfast every day...Emily how are the Oat Bran O's...I get tired of it and switch off to something else for a while. My thanks too to Em for being so supportive and helpful. It's much much harder to do it alone. Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

My last comment disappeared; I hope I don't duplicate! At any rate, it's a weird twist of fate that I happen to know that "Hello Toast" bit - I think it's from Fran Lebowitz, in Metropolitan Life. I have resolved to get healthy and lose weight in 2006, but I don't know if I can do the nut-counting.