Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The First 100 Days

Is 100 special? The 100th day probably deserves more attention than it actually got, either on the day or in this posting. What I am thinking about most of all is how, even though my weight has come down, and I feel much better, I've noticed some other things in my life that may not be in such good shape. Etiquette prohibits me from listing them all, but my teeth and my car and two things that are going to need fixes that add up to lots of $$$$$. The feeling of trying to be in control for so many things is difficult. As an adult in this modern world, it feels like there might be just too many things to take care of adequately. I mean, how am I supposed to keep the undercarriage of my car from RUSTING? If flossing and brushing isn't enough to take care of my teeth WHAT IS? I don't know if I have what it takes to pay special attention to these things above the routine maintenance if I also have to keep my weight in line by eating right, having a job, a house and a family. Am I whining? Well it's my blog, I can do whatever I want. You could have clicked away anytime you wanted to.

Breakfast
3/4 Cup Oatmeal
1 Cup Strawberries
1 pak Splenda
Tea

Mega-Snack
12 Oz coffee (half decaf)
1 Joy Stick
1 Cheese Stick
1 6 oz yogurt
1/2 cup unsalted, mixed nuts
20 Peanuts

Lunch
Salad with Tuna Salad (no dressing)

Dinner
Rainbow Trout Emily
Fried Onions
Salad with Parmesan, Red Pepper

What I have noticed throughout my 100 days most is how people have consistently mixed the South Beach diet up with Atkins. True, they are both low-carb diets, but South Beach distinguishes itself from Atkins in being sensible—e.g. it doesn't recommend you eat bacon and cheese omelets for breakfast or fatty steaks for dinner. It is all about balancing your life out and keeping the FAT down. It truly has given me a better way to live, even if I have become a nut fanatic, and just as my father in law lost his unfettered access to the nut factory. Damn! I have bad timing. The other thing people have been saying to me is stuff like "oh I tried South Beach and I didn't lose any weight." If I dig deeper, I can tell that they couldn't stick it through—they gave up after the first week or so. And a lot of people say they felt so crappy they couldn't go on. That didn't happen to me and I don't know why. But I was determined to stick with it no matter what. Lastly, there are people who, inspired by me, starting to go on some kind of diet, but without the book. I'm all for taking control of your lives, so anyone who's inspired by me GO! But I do recommend reading the book—I think it gives you the educational and scientific base to make intelligent eating choices for the rest of your life.

Does anyone think there will be another 100 days of this blog? Countdown to next weigh in: 6 days. Countdown to my deadline: 6 weeks. Countdown to the American Holiday Season, breaker of diets: 6 Months.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI, I was writing and suddenly it was all gone. Anyway, I'm very proud that you made it through the first 100 days. That's very special. I think the South Beach diet is excellent and the only one that ever worked consistently for me. Keep up the good work..nuts or not. Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

That was a post from a while ago. No matter, it found its way to your blog. Stick with the book....leave the e-mail alone....or write back and tell them. Anyway, sorry to hear about the dental dismay. Been there, done that. Love to all. MOM

Anonymous said...

HI Just found out about this blog from "anonymous" and couldn't wait to read it...just yesterday I decided to do something about the slowly expanding middle section, and hooked up with an outfit linked to the Kaiser Permanente web site--after filling out a questionnaire, I received a 14 page "personalized" guide---basically it's reduce caloric intake and exercise. No fad diets for these guys! I'll report back later. Starting point 186 lbs, goal somewhere in the 170s if possible.
It's the borderline BP that was the incentive. Good luck! Don