Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Day 107: The Long Road Back

I don't want anyone who reads to think that I have it hard. I don't. But in my life, Monday was kind of a hard day. Then came Monday night. When I got home through the swampy, hot, mosquito-laden air that surrounded Massachusetts, I realized that our air conditioning was not working properly: cold air was not coming through the registers. After I came home, an hour of chaos followed where Em and I dealt with the aftermath of Ruby suffering from being attacked by a vicious band of marauding mosquitos and Magnolia coming down with Roseola (http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/roseola.html). When they were both asleep (a state neither would remain in for the evening) I checked out the air conditioning and was alarmed to find the pipes were both frozen (with actual ice on them) and dripping. Of course I realized this as I was standing on the wet carpet below. Calling the AC guys they said "turn it off and let the compressor get unfrozen." The thought of turning off the A/C even when it wasn't working was making me sweat. But we did it, and then we spent the next six or seven hours like when we were poor college kids during the summer—trying to sleep, but too busy sweating and being uncomfortable to get the job done. And both kids were up several times with their maladies. By 4:30AM I was ready to use M&Ms intravenously. Luckily, I passed out from dehydration before I could set up the works.

Breakfast
2 Eggs O'er Trouble Water
Turkey B-b-bacon
Tea

Snack
1/4 Cup Mixed, Though Unsalted Nuts
1 6 oz Yoplait Apple Cobbler Yogurt

Lunch
Tuna Salad, on a bed of lettuce, celery
Cheese Stick

Dinner
90% Sirloin Burger
Pickles & Hot Peppers
Greek Salad with Tomatoes

So again, my resolve is to get back to losing weight, and to be under 200 by Ruby's birthday. This will entail: less carbs, less nuts and simply, less volume. Of course, it will help if my car will make it to July, and the house with it. Assuming that all goes well, and there is a break from the heat (which of course will happen simultaneously with the A/C being fixed) I should be able to get really back on the elliptical horse and get this thing done. If it sounds like I'm saying the same thing a lot, it's because I need a lot of pep talk right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Some days are like this. I hope the girls are better....and the heat is supposed to break on Thursday. Sorry to hear about the air conditioning but when it's fixed there will be many days this summer when you will be able to appreciate it. For future reference...I usually call the AC people in the spring to check out the system. Whether that would do any good with frozen pipes I don't know. WITH RESPECT TO SOBE: STAY THE COURSE YOU'RE DOING GREAT! Love, MOM