Friday, June 10, 2005

Day 102: Things to Avoid

From the oft-delivered email from South beach. I take great issue with this email, and after you read it you'll see why. Condiments: What to Enjoy and Avoid
"When adding condiments to your favorite foods, beware of hidden carbs. Ketchup, for example, is loaded with sugar, and so are some salsas and steak sauces. Read labels carefully, and consider this list of condiments to avoid and enjoy"

Enjoy:
Mustard
Horseradish sauce
Lettuce
Pickles
Onions
(Now this list of condiments is five items long and three things on it are VEGETABLES.)

Avoid:
Ketchup
Cocktail sauce
(Um, OK, I missed the part about avoiding cocktail sauce...)

Use sparingly (check labels for added sugar):
Salsa
Hot sauce
Soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Steak sauce
Mayonnaise (regular or low-fat)
(In the book it clearly says Soy Sauce is OK as is regular fat-mayonaise. I want these email writers to check with the Doctor!)


Breakfast
2 Eggs (broke a yolk coming out of the pan, I've lost my edge)
2.5 Strips Turkey Bacon
Tea

Snack
12 oz coffee (half decaf)
1/2 Cup Nuts (some salted, some not)
1 Cheese stick
6 oz blueberry yoplait yogurt

Lunch
Sashimi (2 Octopus, 2 Whitefish, 2 Salmon, 3 Tuna)
Pickled Ginger (oddly, left off the condiment list)
Shredded Radish (ditto)
Miso Soup

Carsnack En Route Home From Russo's
About 5 slices of Salami
5 Strawberries

Dinner
Chicken, Peppers and Onions
Broccoli

It's interesting that I'm on a medication that takes away most of my enjoyment of eating, but not my will to eat. I might need to see a new dentist. Until then, I'm chewing mostly soft foods on the left side of mouth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that the only thing powerful enough to take away the will to eat would be unconsciousness.