Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Year 2, Day 365: Detecto Says "178"



From a marketing perspective, it's very disappointing that I can only claim to have lost 48lbs and not 50 (or as in a month's ago weigh-in, 52). While I was tempted to lie about my weight to make it more exciting, I realized that that's exactly what this blog and my journey is NOT about. It's about giving the truth, and saying what I think and I feel and what's happening as it's happening. So for a long time I was told that "muscle weighs more than fat, so don't worry if you gain weight." The truth is, I was never doing anything but cardio back then so any weight gained had more to do with slippage than muscle gain. Today, though, I must acknowledge that whether it's a 'loosening' or muscle gain I am okay with a sum total loss of 48lbs. The truth is, I feel good, I have energy, my clothes fit and I like to look at myself in the mirror. Most days (except rainy days and Mondays) I am filled with the hope that today can be better than yesterday and also with the knowledge that I (and by extension, you) can do anything I set my mind and body to.

Breakfast
2 slices of Iggy's 7-Grain Bread
Super Chunky Peanut Butter
1 Small Apple
Coffee

Snack
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
3 Sticks Beef Jerky
1 oz Boston Lite Popcorn
2 pistachios

Lunch: Demo's
Greek Salad with Chicken Kebab

Dinner
Emily's kicked-up flounder
String Beans

Dessert
crusts of bread made for Magnolia
about 20 chocolate chips
1 spoonful haagen dazs chocolate

Of course, writing down everything you eat means you can look back over the days and see what contributed to a gain or a loss. There was clearly a period prior to getting weighed in where I was eating more food during meals and eating more snacks during the day (four instead of three, for instance, like today). I was being less of a zealot and more of someone who occasionally eats what he wants. Honestly that's not working for me. I'd rather be a zealot and keep my weight at 174 then to eat what I want and watch the scale go up. Watching the scale go up fills me with dread. So onto year three.

2 comments:

Fairway Lady said...

Um. Like. Wow?

You are awesome and a true inspiration.

Thanks for taking on that huge challenge and kicking it to the curb in front of everyone.

Mom said...

Well 48 pounds is spectacular to me. You look and sound wonderful. So keep up the good work. I think your reading public...most of us I think have seen your amazing progress on the eating plan. It is entirely possible that with the exercise your muscle mass is growing. I think you'll be the first in the family! Love, MOM