Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Day 262: Sadly, Tuna on a Paper Plate

If you are someone looking to go on a diet, or succeed on the one you're on, I think lowering your expectations about each meal is crucial. That means not only getting less excited about each chance to feed, but to really recognize that it is a biological requirement and that if you don't LOVE every single meal it's OK. This may be fly in the face of the 'life-is-short' brigade who may think 'life is too short to eat bad food' and I am certainly not recommending that you eat bad food (though it will make the diet easier). Even though I have lowered my expectations about each meal, I can still amazingly be disappointed. Today, due to my choice to go walking, I had literally zero time to get something to eat, so I was forced to rummage around the Domania kitchen and so I made due with a can of plain tuna, two cheese sticks and a 11 oz V-8. Nutritionally, it was absolutely fine, and what there was tasted good. But when I caught a view of myself from the so-called "God's-eye-view" it was really quite sad.

Breakfast
1.5 cup Crispy Wheats
1 cup Lactose and Fat-free Milk
.5 cup Blueberries
Tea

Snack
12 oz Coffee (half decaf)
1/4 cup almonds cashews
10 dried apricots
60 Pistachios
1 Pink lady Apple

Lunch
6 oz. Can of Tuna
2 Cheese sticks
11 oz Can V8 Vegetable Juice

Dinner
Shrimp & Scallops a la Emily
Broccoli
2 Bites of Chicken

Emily was very unhappy with the dinner she made tonight. She complained that the broccoli was overcooked and the scallops were awful. I ate the broccoli but I'm not a scallops fan, so it wasn't much of a disappointment. As I mentioned, I am learning not to expect too much, and have been pleasantly delighted for about the past four months of Emily's cooking, so the diet has been relatively easy.

1 comment:

Mom said...

You are now writing Zen and the art of Sobe dieting. Philosophy beomes you. Hope you and Em enjoy her birthday. Love, MOM