Saturday, March 17, 2007

Year 3, Day 17: The Dig Out

We knew that by the second we were getting ice-encased, so we drank all our coffee, watched all our spongebobs and endeavored to get dressed and get out. Emily and I both started shoveling at one point and we managed to clean off the front stairs and make a reasonable dent in the driveway. Every time it snows I'm asking myself "why do I have stairs? A nice ramp would do."

Breakfast
Kashi Go Lean!
Heritage Flakes
Blueberries
Banana
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Snack
1 slice balathazar bread
peanut butter
2 oz 50 %jalapeno cheddar
2 sticks beef jerky

Lunch:
Romaine, Cabbage, Red & YEllow Peppers, Tuna
Feta, Balsamic, Pepperoncini

Dinner: Fuji Steak house
Soup
Salad
Sashimi Deluxe
a few bites of ruby's steak

Ruby and I lit out for the day in earnest at about 3pm. We had a few errands to do, but the first stop was getting her a slice of pizza at Papa Ginos. She ate it with such gusto it really was a pleasure. There is nothing worse than watching a kid pick at food he or she is not interested in. After that we continued on with her day but before the Steve Songs concert, I went to get a cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts. I got her a green sprinkled donut that was the usual vanilla-frosted with sprinkles but because it was SPD it was called "Manager's Special." The woman waiting on me could not understand my questioning—there seemed to be two variations and I couldn't tell the difference from the counter. The only english she could speak (I surmised) was the exact name of Dunkin Donuts products. We left, products in hand and went to the concert. After that we went to Japanese steak house (think Benihana) and amazingly, she ate a huge dinner steak, vegetables, plus udon noodles and rice. She was a good sport and tried the miso soup and the japanese salad dressing. Both were met with firm head shaking. I ordered the sashimi because my experience with Tempinakyi is that it uses a tremendous amount of butter and other unnecessary fats. I did get a few looks a the table, but it was just fine because the guy next to me made everyone crane their heads when he asked for a fork.

2 comments:

Fairway Lady said...

Me and the 3 other people who weren't in Costa Rica that day went to the same restaurant you guys did. We probably arrived around the time you were putting Ruby to bed....

weird.

Mom said...

A fork in a Japaneses restaurant. Shame! Oh well, so it goes. I think Sam routinely asked for a fork too. Glad you got out from under the ice. Love, MOM