Monday, March 21, 2005

Day 21: One More Week to Go

While I am not fretting about the poor taste and texture quality of the remaining breakfasts of my life, I am spending a lot of time slapping my forehead as hard as I can about the way I have lived my life, food-wise. Reading and re-reading the South Beach diet book really describes how terribly self-defeating nearly EVERY SINGLE ATTEMPT of mine to eat responsibly was. So many nights just eating a bowl of cereal, just toast. How I was always ordering a baked potato plain because I thought it was better for me. (They point out that any fat you could add to the potato is better because it will slow your body's absoprtion of the sugar). Though Dr. Agatston points out that a slice of white bread is "worse than a tablespoon of white sugar" what really depressed me was his description of an American's sugar-laden diet, from breakfast cereals to "the late night snack of of pretzels made from pure, processed white flour." AAAAHHHHHHG. As I approach my last week on Phase One, I am making a list in my head of what I will eat, what I won't, what I will crave, and what is off the list forever (it's not turkey bacon, I'll tell you).

Breakfast
Eggs (1 broke, 1 whole, both ruined on the over easy)
Turkey Bacon
Tea
1 Tsp Peanut Butter (may have slipped over the 1tsp limit)

Snackadoodle
15 Cashews
1 Cheese Stick

Lunch
Tuna Salad (the tuna-creation, not tuna on lettuce)
Roll Mop
Hummus and Cucumbers

Dinner
Catfish
Salad with Feta

Dessert
None

For the second day in a row, I was out early on errands and seeking out play opportunies for Ruby. Both days, I got to about 11:45 and realized: "I'm hungry and I'm not near my carb-free kitchen." Both times I had to think quickly about what I could eat, and while eating out is not hard for the carb-challenged, it is hard when the primary goal for the place you pick is that they have something your 4.5 year old wants to eat. When you add that to having low blood sugar it can make the whole proposition a head-buzzing affair. Yesterday I got lucky, because Ruby had pizza and I got a grilled chicken breast at the Village Kitchen in Cambridge. Today not so lucky. We were en route to get her a hot chocolate when she decided she was hungry AND thirsty. I ordered a plate of tuna salad, no salad, which in itself was challenging as there was a language barrier to deal with. I secured her a piece of banana-chocolate crunch bread.

Lastly, I am going to try skip dessert as much as I can. I know it's only 40 calories or so, but I'm sure I can do without it. Oh, if only I loved excercise!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, so.....heading into week 3 and I can't believe how well it's going. How much better you're feeling. I liked the catfish tonight, but - and I think this might be the first time I have ever said this - I like the way I make it better! Ha! I make something!

I hope the weather cooperates this week as the Domania Walking Group circles the Charles River with arms a-swingin'. Me and R. and M. will be here at the ponderosa supporting you.

On this 3rd anniversary of her death, I can only say that she would be cheering you on harder than anyone in your quest for health and fitness.

There's nothing you can see that can't be shown.....

e

Anonymous said...

Hi, back in the office today. It's so great reading your experiences. I feel like I'm there with you. You're doing a great job. When you are ready...buy yourself a new pair of pants...on me...it will feel terrific. Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

yeah. i'll treat you to a pair of pants as well. and i hate to be a nudge, but have you thought about trying to tailor ruby's diet to be a little more sobe as well. you are raising a sugar freak. though she comes by it honestly, emily... and come to think of it, it didnt really work for me that my mom made it clear that sugar was bad. you know, so was bacon. and now all i want is sugar and bacon. maybe you and ruby can start cycling together if spring ever arrives. see the world on two wheels! i think i better get myself a copy of the sobe book, just for inspiration motivation. love me