Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Year 2, Day 270: Twinkies and Meat and Fisticuffs at Russo's


Came across this book in my travels. I thought. "No, not really. You're kidding, right? Twinkies and Meat? Just how desperate do you have to be to push high carb, high fat, all-sugar foods with no nutritional value?" Answer: that desperate.

Breakfast
1 Cup Heritage Flakes
1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean
Banana
Blueberries
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Coffee

Snack
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
4 Slices Beef Jerky
12 oz. Decaf Coffee

Lunch: Russo's ($5.29)
Romaine, Red Leaf, Red Pepper, Red Onion
Feta, Chicken, Broccoli, Mushrooms
Balsamic Vinegar

Dinner:
Lime Shrimp a la Emily
Green Beans
Avocado Salad

Dessert
1/3(4 Squares) of 1 Serving of Green & Black Chocolate (Espresso)

So it's hard for anyone to understand this if you haven't been to Russo's, but I'll try to explain (sorry my powers of charting and graphing are not up to par). One short-side end of the rectangular salad bar at Russo's is dedicated to three kinds of salad: iceberg, romaine and green leaf. The red leaf is at the very corner of the long side. At the other short-side end there is prepared foods like pasta salad and roasted vegetables which I never take because whether they are good for me or not they are VERY HEAVY and so must be avoided. The tin trays and plastic covers are stored at the same short-side end where the three lettuces are. That makes it an ideal place to START your salad at the salad bar. Now, I may have grown a little possessive. It does feel like MY salad bar. But if someone is filling up their tin tray with iceberg lettuce and I am taking some romaine, they shouldn't feel that I'm "busy" when I have clearly angled my body to read that I am "on line." (Since I am from New York I will have to translate that that means I was "in line.") This woman, had to make a slidy kind of bendy motion that to most onlookers, would have telegraphed that she was sliding PAST me to get to the beginning of the salad bar. In horror I said, "Hey you are cutting." Without looking at me (more proof she knew she WAS CUTTING, she said "I'm just getting salad." Note: she did not say "you weren't in line." I said "You still cut!" to the back of her head. She wasn't responding. I was out of luck. Luckily, there was plenty of chicken for both of us, or I am certain we would have come to blows.

No comments: