Monday, November 27, 2006

Year 2, Day 269: After Four Days Off

No one finds it easy to go back to work after four and half days off, but the teachers at Ruby's school were awarded with yet ANOTHER day off. Unbelievably, they get the Monday after the four and half day holiday off for professional development. As I married to a teacher I respect the need for professional development, but come on! We parents have to work—we need our kids in school. On the plus side, I got to stay at home with both kids in the morning; then Ruby took Magnolia to school with me and got to see her old teachers! They could not believe how big she'd gotten. Then I dropped her off for a play date, and it was nearly 60 degrees out. I myself was glad to delay the inevitable return to work for a few hours.

Breakfast
Kashi/Heritage Flakes
Banana
Blueberries
Coffee (new coffee maker)

Snack
1 Extra Smokey
5 Pieces of Beef Jerky

Lunch: Peter's Kitchen
Chicken Kebab Salad

Dinner:
Bacon Cheeseburger
Broccoli
Pickles

This was the morning we piloted a new coffeemaker. Now usually, one would be considered foolish for undertaking this important a test on so important a morning. But the fact is, it was on our to-do list and we just couldn't get to it until yesterday (Sunday). So, we really didn't have the time (or coffee) to waste by trying it out. It had to be a cold run. And it had to be Monday after Thanksgiving. It was risky, but it paid off in diamonds. It was a Cuisinart and I got it for a song at Linens 'n' Things since the one I went to buy was sold out and the hapless and tired clerk who answered the phone fessed up that she said they had them. So the manager, also hapless and tired (they had opened at 8AM that morning, which necessitated him getting there at 6, but it wasn't advertised so most normal people were sleeping) agreed to sell me the larger (and more extravagant 14-cup coffee maker for the price of the DISCOUNTED 10-cup one. I can count the times on no hands how often I have needed to brew 14 cups of coffee. Of course the cup size is a marketing ploy, but that's another story. It makes great coffee, and for the life of me I can't understand how it could make better coffee than a $28 Mr. Coffee machine since the only ingredients are the same: coffee and water.

No comments: