Friday, August 04, 2006

Year 2, Day 156: Return of Walks

Today Ruby had another field trip, this time to the aquarium. It sounded to me like a much more age appropriate field trip than the museum. I am probably just a philistine in that way. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what she should have in her packed lunch, vs. what she have for breakfast. She has oft favored a hamburger for breakfast, but we didn't have any fresh chopped meat. All we had was pre-fab burgers with sweet onions. She loves the regular Bubba's, but when I served this to her she asked me "what's in this?" Which all parents know is the question of doom for any new food item that is served to your kid. I like it because the taste reminded me of White Castle, even though at their best they were probably not very good. This fact was often obscured because whenever you were there you were either 'under the influence' or it was your hamburger of last resort.

Breakfast
4 slices Ham
1 slice balthazar rye bread
1/2 Bubba's Hamburger with Sweet Onions (that Ruby didn't eat)
1 cherry

Snack
2 oz 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
4 sticks Beef Jerky
2 stalks celery

Lunch: Peter's Kitchen
Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken and Feta
Oil & Vinegar dressing

Dinner:
More burger
Cabbage/Lettuce salad with Feta, Balsamic Vinegar
Slices of Turkey
3 Chicken Nuggets

A beautiful day after a week of heat and rain and we finally got out there again. We brought the new guy on his first walk. He did well. In that crowd, I was the slowest, but I held up OK. Came home and it was a sort of 'grab what you can' dinner. I made a salad of leftovers and Emily and I split it on the porch, overlooking the beautiful day's sunset on the park, our children, and the summer. It was a moment that deserved a better meal (or at least a cocktail) but in my quest to deromanticize food I simply crunched loudly on my cabbage and enjoyed it.

1 comment:

Mom said...

How quickly these days are going by. It's nice to sit and savor them when you can. Enjoy. Love, MOM