Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Year 2, Day 154: Renouncing Strawberries, Now

I have learned my lesson. Long time readers may remember that have at least three sisters-in-law that repeatedly schooled me about the quality of corn during the off season. Their disdain for non-August corn was so great that was I often ashamed to be seen with any corn when I was with them in other months. Now I have come to my own conclusion about Strawberries. You just can't buy them after about the second week of July. You can, obviously, because Driscoll seems to make them available year round. But after you've had a straight-from-the earth strawberry, even from a strawberry farm that declares there are 'no strawberries' after promoting the event in a local paper, you can never go back. I have just purchased (but not necessarily eaten) my last out-of-season strawberry. It's hard to renounce Strawberries because not only do I love them so but they are the lowest carb, lowest sugar of the berry family. And as we get a peek of the end of summer's approach, I can tell that the blueberries and raspberries won't be with us long either. [sigh]


Breakfast
1.5 cups Kashi Go Lean/Heritage Flakes
1 Cup Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries
1 cup of probably not very good USM
Green Tea

Snack
2 oz. 50% Jalapeno Cheddar
3 sticks Beef Jerky
2 Sticks celery

Lunch: Russo's ($4.98)
Red leaf, red onion, red pepper
broccoli, mushrooms, chicken, feta
balsamic vinegar

Dinner
Hamburger
Yellow Beans
Cabbage Salad with Feta
Pickles
1 Peppadew

Every once in a while I think of a little thing that helps me in my constant battle against unnecessary eating and I figure I would share it with readers. Today's thing is toothpaste. I can't tell you helpful it is if you can brush your teeth almost immediately after finishing dinner. Of course, if your bathroom is on another floor it might not be as easy for you, but you might want to keep a second set of your dental tools (toothbrush, floss, red tip, tongue scraper). Your minty mouth can really help you fight off that urge for something sweet when it comes calling (and darlings, it ALWAYS comes calling sometimes) around an hour after dinner.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Ah Strawberries! What happened to that famous line that we love..."even a rotten one is good." So much for Mel Brooks. I'm still savorig the blueberries myself. Love, MOM