Monday, February 28, 2005

The First Day

I started the South Beach diet today. I did this because I went to see my Doctor (who I love because she's a cute little chipmunk in a labcoat) who recommended it. Since she saved my life, I decided to start the diet without any further thought.

I spent a lot of time thinking about what I would eat my first day. It felt a lot like getting ready for a performance, or a presentation. I kept going over it in my mind. Was I ready? Would I make it?

In preperation, I spent almost $200 in groceries, nearly half of which was spent on "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter" spray.

Breakfast
1. Canadian Bacon Omelet (made with Olive Oil)
2. 6 oz V-8

Snacks (Throughout the Day)
1. 2 Horizon Cheese Sticks
2. 30 Pistachios
3. 15 Cashews

Lunch:
Greek Salad with Chicken Breast
(I didn't know if Olives were OK?)

Dinner:
1. Rollmops composed of Ham, Turkey, Fat-Free American Cheese, Boston Lettuce and Mustard
2. Snowpeas
3. Two pieces of Celery

Dessert
Sugarfree Fudgicle

As I write this:
Mango Tea

So far, I can tell that the hardest part of staying on the diet will be absent-minding eating. For instance, I was preparing a salad for Emily and I almost popped a carrot into my mouth. I better watch that. Not sure how I'm going to prepare Ruby's food, since it all high in carbs and glycemic-coma inducing. I now look a the contents of her lunchbox with a "tsk-tsk" because I recogninze how absolutely contrary it is to good nutrition.

Fortunately for her, tomorrow I'm going to spray it all with "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter" spray.

No comments: